Not a doctor

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

This was what my 2-year old Little Missy said after our first consultation with her Development Pediatrician at the Asian Hospital. Let me give you a brief background.

Contrary to why most parents seek the expertise of a Dev't. Pedia, we weren't worried about her having ADHD, or ADD, or anything like that. We've just been told by a lot of people to have her assessed because she seemed advanced even before she turned 1. Even her regular pedia is amazed at her development although he didn't push for an assessment, until recently.

I am with my little girl 24/7 so maybe that's why I don't see her as other people do. I think all she does is pretty normal and regular because I do not compare other kids to her. I hated that when I was little so why do it to her and to other children who may be equally blessed with other talents.

Anyway, hubby and I are considering enrolling her in a school but didn't know which type of school. This was where it all started. Most people said she's too advanced for the regular nursery or even kinder level. If only she could write uniformly between blue-to-blue lines, she could even pass for the Preparatory level. Some people say to just enroll her in a toddler school rich in physical and social activities. Because sending her to the right school is a big issue for us, that's when we finally decided to consult with a Dev't. Pedia.

I told myself I'll take notes, record, and photograph what I can but it seems I forgot all those because the discussion started with a detailed background of myself and my hubby. We were asked about our own family backgrounds and characteristics of "noteable" family members. Then I was asked in detail about my journey to pregnancy, including my miscarriage, pre-pregnancy activities and medications if any, pre-natal activities and medications, and what medications and activities little Missy is engaged in now that she's 2 and 7 months old.

After taking all those down, she started to "play" with her. Honestly, I don't think I remember everything that she did to assess her but at the end it left my little girl a little tired. She started getting restless, but I don't blame her, they were at it for an hour and a half.

The doctor said that she had to go on and on because little Missy could still answer her questions so she had to prod until she could gauge the level. I think though that she also felt how restless the little girl was so she also decided to end it. She just advised us to come back in a couple of months for another assessment.

When we got the results, hubby and I were surprised at how she did. The doctor called her developmentally advanced. Her reading skills were at Grade 2 level, and this was her main strength together with her communication skills.

Now knowing this, she gave us her advice on how to cope with her, how I should be able to support her and what type of school she recommends. Actually, we're still waiting for an email from her for a list of schools fit for little Missy in our area.

For now, I'll do my best to support her interests, guide her strengths and develop ummm... everything else. I made a promise to myself that I'll let her keep her childhood. Even though she's accomplished a lot for her age, I will not, nor will I let anyone, dictate what she has to do. I will give her the childhood that she deserves regardless if it may seem that she's too mature for it. If she says it's too shallow for her, then we move a step further, but not until she herself is ready for it.

Like this post?
Subscribe to this blog by email HERE
Get updates via Facebook HERE
Follow me on twitter HERE

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

0 thought/s shared. Click to add yours.:

Comment hereDoFollow Badge - Blue2

I'd love to know your thoughts and all comments on this blog are DoFollow. :D




Recent "Tots" from friends.

Current Top Commentators (July 2011)


Get Widget Here

Linkies I joined

Parenting Blogs

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP