Her 2-year shot

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Last Saturday, we went to my little missy's Pediatrician for her 24-month or 2-year old checkup. I wasn't able to take her in for 9 or 10 months, ever since he scheduled an MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella or German Measles) vaccine. I was really hesitant about that shot because in a site that I was a member of, the other moms were hinting that that particular shot may have a connection with autism.

Anyway, it was originally scheduled on her 15th month but I decided to let the 24month pass. Based on what I've read, and consultations with other Pediatricians, they said that autism usually manifests at around 16months to 22 months. One doctor that I liked even said that seeing my little missy's personality, she doesn't think that she may be a candidate for autism. It just wasn't her (my girl's) type. But still, she advised me to follow my heart when it comes to my child.

So alas, 24months came and I scheduled a visit to the Pediatrician. I surely didn't miss going to the doctor! There were a lot of people waiting, lots of kids even, from newborns to well... kids. It was a good thing I brought along a couple of my little girl's toys and books to keep her entertained. But of course, if you had to wait an hour or so, those books and toys were no match for impatience. Good thing was, she enjoyed seeing the nurses go back and forth from the nurses' station to the doctor's office (to hand new patient files). Why was she entertained? Because of their scrub suits.

I'm so glad that Pedia nurses wear child-friendly scrub suits. Gone were the times when nurses just wore plain white nursing scrub tops that weren't soft enough. Now all you'd see are mostly cartoon characters on pastel colored soft cotton scrubs. Sometimes, I am tempted to ask where I can buy those unique scrubs! If it can grab my girl's attention for an hour or so, I'm sure it would be a great help to me some time soon, after all, she is in her terrible twos now. Looking at them and guessing who the character was certainly made the time pass by quicker. Thank goodness for that.

We spent about 30 mins in the office, I asked a lot of questions about what to expect. But most of the time, the doctor just played with her. He made animal sounds that he wanted her to guess. Funny thing was, he ran out of animals and my little girl was the one calling out the names for him to make the sound! At the end of the visit, the doctor didn't give her the MMR vaccine. He gave her a shot of Hep-A first. He said it would be better since that was the shot originally scheduled for 24months. Her MMR will be on the day before Halloween!!!

You think it's a good idea to bring her to the doctor in her Halloween costume? Trick or Treat then get a shot! :D

Thanks for reading! Hope you're having a good week.


Like this post? To subscribe to this blog by email, click HERE
Want updates via Facebook? Click HERE to take you to our Facebook page.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

2 thought/s shared. Click to add yours.:

nicquee Friday, October 01, 2010 8:36:00 AM  

You think it's a good idea to bring her to the doctor in her Halloween costume? Trick or Treat then get a shot! :D

Nice idea! Who knows the pedia might give away the vaccine fee as a TREAT. :)

Reply to comment
Amy @ Marvelous Mommy Friday, October 01, 2010 11:34:00 PM  

Aw shots are a scary thing. We do an alternate vaccine schedule and I know many people that don't do any shots at all.

I say let her wear the costume if she wants too. I know when I was little I would love to wear my costume out somewhere...anywhere! lol

Reply to comment

Comment hereDoFollow Badge - Blue2

I'd love to know your thoughts and all comments on this blog are DoFollow. :D




Recent "Tots" from friends.

Current Top Commentators (July 2011)


Get Widget Here

Linkies I joined

Parenting Blogs

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP