Teaching a child to read or math.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

As I was bloghopping yesterday, I came across a site that said something about teaching a child to read and do math. I personally know about reading since my little one can sight read about 50-80 words and can "spell" through phonics (dog is "dee oh ga"). I haven't yet heard any parent talk about teaching their child (below a year old) math.

I'm amazed at how my little on picked up on her reading. The material we use does not teach the alphabet but she can now recognize 20 letters. There was one time that we went to her doctor's office, and she wanted to knock on the door. I just told her read it, and didn't notice that there was a sticker that said Tax Mapped. I was surprised when she said "Tee ey ek, TAX". Of course TAX wasn't one of the words we study. She literally left us speechless.

Now I'm thinking of trying her at math, just seeing how it goes. I downloaded a couple of materials from the site and showed it to her, just one time today. She seemed interested.

Just so you know, I'm not the type to force her. If she doesn't want to look or listen, I immediately stop. I'll keep you up to date!

1 thought/s shared. Click to add yours.:

cornyman Friday, March 26, 2010 1:07:00 PM  

Wow...Your daughter is awesome!!
Do you teach her phonics?

Sorry for late reply, i was very busy these few days as we just came back home from my hometown, and i have a lot of chores to do.

Sometimes, when i flash the cards to Timmy, he would just crawl to somewhere else. There are actually few reasons,
1. The environment distracts him
2. The cards are too "old"
3. No reason, just don't like (If i could not find a reason when he doesn't want the flash cards sessions for few days, then i would probably stop for 1 week. When i start again next time, he would love it again).

There are some methods to keep the baby on track on learning process. I just learnt from other moms. For example, baby normally gets bored with the math dots cards very fast. Then they mix the math dots cards with the picture cards radomly. Baby loves pictures. When there is a math dot card in the between of picture cards. Even he doesn't like, but very fast he will distract by the picture card next. And by the time, he already sees the math dots card.

I hope this helps. There are lots to discuss about teaching babies. I would love to learn from you :-)

From, lupin
http://babyandkidsworld.blogspot.com

Reply to comment

Comment hereDoFollow Badge - Blue2

I'd love to know your thoughts and all comments on this blog are DoFollow. :D




Recent "Tots" from friends.

Current Top Commentators (July 2011)


Get Widget Here

Linkies I joined

Parenting Blogs

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP