Hotdogs and Onions, with Ketchup on the side please - The story.

Friday, November 5, 2010

My Tummy Calls features one of my all-time favorite dishes involving the juicy hotdog, the crisp round onions and a merry splash of ketchup (read here). Why is this dish on of my favorites? Here's the story...

When we were growing up, I was 11 I think and my sisters were 9 and 6, we had a Friday habit. My father (RIP) would pick us up from school early and take us to the Villamor Base Driving Range in Magallanes. A driver would pick my mom and my youngest sister from the house since her school schedule was only during the first half of the day.

A brief background, my father and most of his family members, (his father and some of his brothers) all played golf. My father was even the first (not really sure now) Team Captain of his University's Golf Team. It wasn't really a question that we were bound to learn it some day.

Anywho, I and my younger sister were coached by golf professionals. We would just let our youngest sister hit balls from time to time when we needed a rest, or when we'd snack on something. During those times, I personally felt that we were being forced to learn the sport. I knew that wasn't my father's intention. I just felt that since we had to do it every Friday, then it's somehow being forceful. The only thing I looked forward to during those days was this hotdog dish.

Maybe it's because eating it would mean a semi-long break (since we eat it with rice), plus the short rest afterwards. Maybe it was just because I loved hotdogs then. Maybe it was the ketchup. I honestly can't remember but I'm thankful for it.

Because we loved it so much, my mom imitated the dish. I don't think there's any difference between my mom's and the one from the Driving Range. I love my mom for discovering it. I love her for sharing it with me, now that my little girl seems to have a knack for hotdogs too, maybe she's in the hotdog stage already?

So why do I love this dish? Because my mom tried to learn it because we loved it. Because once upon a time in my childhood it was a big thing for me to look forward to. Lastly, because it reminds me of my father.

I may not have liked our Friday habit during that stage in my life, but I'm thankful he forced, err... encouraged us to learn it. I won a couple of tournaments when I was in my teens. I met a lot of people from different walks of life. I was able to use it at work if "recreation" was needed with clients and most importantly, I was able to learn something HE loved.

So.. without further ado... our dish for the day, Hotdogs and Onions, with Ketchup on the side please. Oh, ketchup wasn't really on the side, so it should be called Hotdogs and Onions with Ketchup "on it".

Do you have a similar story? A dish that takes you back to memory lane?

If you like this post you can subscribe to this blog by email HERE or
If you want updates via Facebook, click HERE to take you to our Facebook page.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

1 thought/s shared. Click to add yours.:

daphne sy Friday, November 05, 2010 1:41:00 PM  

I like hot dog and ketchup but I'm not a fan of onions. You want to know what I like? noodles, egg and put MILO in it. Mix well haha o db?YUM=)
my blog, healthy flat

Reply to comment

Comment hereDoFollow Badge - Blue2

I'd love to know your thoughts and all comments on this blog are DoFollow. :D




Recent "Tots" from friends.

Current Top Commentators (July 2011)


Get Widget Here

Linkies I joined

Parenting Blogs

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP