My very own Tunaboo-patita

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Yeah, yeah! I just didn't want to write Tuna Burger Patties!

Anyway, this was what we had for lunch last Friday. Since meat isn't allowed on Fridays until after the holy week, I get to experiment with my favorite tuna. I could use other seafood but I won't... I love tuna and this is the only time I will always get what I want!

What you'll need:

  • 1 can tuna flakes(in brine or hot and spicy), drained an hour before
  • 1/4c red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/3c minced onion
  • 1/3c minced celery stalk
  • 1/4c mayonnaise
  • 1/4t salt
  • 1/8t ground black pepper
  • 1/4t worcestershire sauce (or more depending on taste)
  • 3/4c italian seasoned breadcrumb (or pounded green onion flavored Skyflakes), set aside a little bit more in case the egg you'll be using is bigger than what I used
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten (I used the medium size egg, available in SM)
  • tin foil/wax paper squares (approx 4-6 pieces, 4inches each side)
  • oil for frying
  1. In a bowl, flake tuna even more with a fork (no such thing as over-flaking here).
  2. Add red bell pepper, onion, celery, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, and bread crumbs. Mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients. You can adjust the salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce at this stage. The taste will also depend on the type of breadcrumb you use, if it's salty or plain.
  3. Add half the beaten egg and mix. If the consistency is still too dry to mold, add the other half of the beaten egg. If it gets too sticky, just gradually add some more breadcrumbs.Note: You don't want it too dry because it will break up during frying. Breadcrumbs and egg amounts may vary depending on the type/brand you use. If you want to taste or check the consistency, shape 1T into a circle about 1cm or so in height and fry.
  4. Shape the patties. I fill a 1/4c measuring cup, then slowly press outward to about a cm or so in height. I put each patty in individual 4in x 4in foil squares so it's easier to peel off when frying.
  5. Put all the patties in a tight lid container and refrigerate for 30mins to make the patties easier to handle.
  6. When about to serve, prepare oil for frying. Once oil is hot, peel patties and fry for about 3.4 minutes per side or until cooked through. Be careful when turning to avoid breaking the patties.
  7. Serve on buns with a slice of tomato and some greens (and cheese if you love cheese like I do) or with rice.
Makes approx 4-6 patties.

5 thought/s shared. Click to add yours.:

Golden Saturday, March 27, 2010 11:47:00 AM  

It looks like it's not that easy to make but it looks yummy though. Haven't heard of a tuna patty till now. :)

Oh, and welcome to the blogosphere. :)

Lots of love,

Reply to comment
Kat @My Tots Exactly Saturday, March 27, 2010 11:21:00 PM  

Thanks for the warm welcome Golden :) I sincerely appreciate it.

It's actually not that hard to make, in short, just dump everything and mix... I just needed to stress out the breadcrumbs part because here where I am, the eggs never seem to be the same size, week after week!! Every time I make it I adjust the breadcrumbs lol But that's basically it! Dump and mix, refrigerate and fry :D

Reply to comment

Comment hereDoFollow Badge - Blue2

I'd love to know your thoughts and all comments on this blog are DoFollow. :D




Recent "Tots" from friends.

Current Top Commentators (July 2011)


Get Widget Here

Linkies I joined

Parenting Blogs

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP