Trusting your neighbor

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Do you trust your neighbors?

I used to. I used to be confident enough to leave my home for maybe 2 days and know that my neighbors will look out for me. Now, I don't know anymore.

My household help of 3 years suddenly left yesterday without saying a word. I was busy feeding my little one her afternoon snack and after I bathed and dressed her, I couldn't find her anymore, our main door slightly ajar. The gate though was padlocked but still, it was very irresponsible. I believe she didn't take anything with her, our money was on the table, the cellphone I loaned her on top of it. She just took her SIM card and her personal things.

This morning I woke up early to prepare for hubby's coffee and morning rituals and I heard her and my neighbor. Our house is a townhouse/apartment type so our dirty kitchen is just separated by a wall with an opening above.

I trusted my helper and it wasn't a mistake. After all, she didn't take anything with her, and I am thankful for that. I just hate the fact that this neighbor, who's been here less than 6 months could do this to us. I'm sure now that she convinced, persuaded, or whatever else you may call it, my helper to transfer and be with them. At what cost, higher salary?

I hope my ex-helper knows that I don't think of her as just our helper. She was my friend, she was like my sister, or a daughter I could have borne out of wedlock if I got pregnant at 16. I know I had my shortcomings but we knew each other well. I rest my case that it wasn't and isn't her fault.

We are a row of 5 townhouses. In the 4 years we've been here, this is the first time I can say that I lost trust in a neighbor. The other 3, I'm good terms with. But as the saying goes... there will always be a bad apple in a bunch.

3 thought/s shared. Click to add yours.:

mountains-to-climb Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:07:00 AM  

Wow, I can't believe that she didn't even tell you she was leaving. Did she think you wouldn't notice that she went NEXT DOOR?! The audacity!!! Some people are just funny like that I guess, right? Well you handled it better than most people would. Kudos :)

Reply to comment
Aimee Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:13:00 AM  

That is hard! I am sure you feel like you have lost a friend. You handled it well though!

Meanwhile, feel free to head to my blog on Wednesday 4/28, you will be photo tagged!

Reply to comment
Witchie's Place Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:56:00 PM  

I agree, addicted! Did the young woman not realize that you'd know she was just next door?? Have you had a chance to ask your ex-helper why she did this to you? I guess people just don't understand or value the meaning of friendship, even if you were employee and employer.

Sorry this happened to you Momma! :(

Reply to comment

Comment hereDoFollow Badge - Blue2

I'd love to know your thoughts and all comments on this blog are DoFollow. :D




Recent "Tots" from friends.

Current Top Commentators (July 2011)


Get Widget Here

Linkies I joined

Parenting Blogs

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP